Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wild Holiday

Been doing a load of research into good, cheap places to go away this summer with my mates. I don't want to be surrounded by chavs with their WKDs (bleurgh..that stuff is so gross) but to a decent extent, and being a teenager, i do of course want to 'party'. But i also want beautiful natural landscape where i can explore, i want cultural and historical attractions to work my way around during the day. I think most of my friends aren't bothered much other than the clubbing, drinking, guys and sunbathing, but i really don't want to miss actually seeing the beautiful place that we stay in because i'm still practically comatose from the night before. We don't go abroad much as a family as it's quite expensive, although my mum did win a two week holiday to Sardinia once when i was 10. It was my first time abroad and it was absolutely amazing. Plus i love flying. Other than that, i've spent a night in Paris, two in Prague last summer with my mum and elder sister. And when i was 12, i took part in a French/German Exchange and therefore spent 10 days in Germany, which was so much fun. That's the extent of my travels abroad, so every chance that i get to do it is a real treat, and i want to soak up everything...not just bottles of beer, vodka or god knows what in a night club. Does that make sense? Anyway, i should probably pack up my dreams of exploring exotic cities and backpacking in Asia for now, and leave them sitting until i'm in university and where i'm hoping i might find friends with similar interests...

India


India

Marrakech, Morocco


Damascus, Syria

Sicily, Italy

Sicily, Italy




Shatili, a village in Georgia
I noticed that there's a sculpture season going on on the BBC right now. I missed what i assume were the first few programmes tonight so am going to catch up online. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone interested. I did catch a glimpse of something tonight and it looked very interesting. Last Summer the BBC did a Normans season, which i thoroughly enjoyed. Especially the three-part documentary series on the Normans which was presented by Professor Robert Bartlett of St Andrews University. The presenters of history programmes often tend to annoy me. Notably Bettany Hughes, who seemed  to become more and more ridiculously posy as each episode of her Ancient Worlds series (which was aired on Channel 4 last year) progressed. Also, though i'm afraid i missed quite a bit of it, the most recent BBC series on Ancient History's presenter was a pretty annoying man who seemed to fancy himself. Then there's that long haired Scottish man who presents 'Coast' and any programme to do with Scotland. It's as if he just can't get enough of the country...if anyone caught 'Seven Ages of Britain' when it was on the BBC a while ago, i did enjoy that and like David Dimblebey's unobtrusive presenting. I just found him sweet. Also, Dan Snow is a relatively young presenter of history programmes. I recently watched 'Hadrian' by him, and found him very easy to watch, and that's not just because he's quite nice looking at all, i swear! :P I've noticed he sometimes presents programmes on Naval history that are shown on 'Yesterday' on freeview in the UK, although that isn't something that interests me as much as medieval or ancient history.

Goodness me - i didn't plan on going on like that. Woops! Well anyway, i'll leave you with a song that for some reason got into my head whilst writing about the holiday predicament. It's Jackson Browne's 'These Days'. I never much liked him before, despite my dad having been singing and playings his songs on guitar throughout my childhood...and my teenagehood. It is only now that he's starting to grow on me. I don't mind his voice so much now, which was the only problem i had with him.



I don't know how it's got this late again. I really didn't want to stay up this late, but this supposedly simple post took a long time as my laptop was playing up and being reeeeeally slow. So anyway, night night! I really don't want to have to get up in the morning :/.

Lots of love
Lucy
x

No comments:

Post a Comment