Sunday, January 9, 2011

Agora

Helloo :) I'm just taking a break from revision as i keep getting distracted and thought i should get it out of my system, plus i'm hungry and i'm waiting for my dad to get back from the supermarket with fooood :D I finally watched Inception the night before last (i tried to 3 times at the cinema but it was sold out the first two times and then cancelled on the third), and the new Robin Hood last night. They were both good, but i have to say i enjoyed Robin Hood more. I found Inception to be more clever than entertaining - but i did enjoy it.

Anyway, two other films that i've watched recently that i was in fact more excited about watching are 'Agora' and 'The Fall'. I'll chat about The Fall in another post as i don't think i have enough time to do both, but Agora is a film about the life of the female scholar Hypatia that lived in Alexandria in the 4th century. I first learned about her from Bettany Hughes' Ancient World programme that was shown on channel 4 last year - i think it was the first episode. Me and my dad were quite into it however the episodes kept getting longer and longer - they weren't quite consise enough to keep my attention, even though ancient history really interests me. Ontop of this, she is actually quite annoying and seems to fancy herself a bit - she was always posing on a rock or something and at one point actually dived into the sea fully clothed just to get some smelly fish thing that some people (the Spartans?) used to die their clothes with. But that's beside the point! I was intrigued by Hypatia and decided to looked her up on the internet (wikipedia - first port of call for any 6th form student!). I found out that there was a movie coming out about her called 'Agora', starring Rachel Weisz whom i am a fan of (although i have to admit much of my reason for this is because i think she's beautiful and wish i looked like her :S). I was really looking forward to its release but then found out that it was only being shown in cinemas in LONDON...pffft! Anyway, to cut out alot of my waffling - i asked for it for Christmas and watched it last week with my family. It's a really beautiful and stunning movie visually, and it seemed to have a good story. I had read reviews before i ordered it and understood that it was supposed to be a film 'for the mind' - translated this really means that she doesnt go round having steamy affairs. I thought this was great - it was refreshing and it feels more believable because not everyone in history did do this, however much we may want them to for the sake of the story (including me, i am a girl after all, can't turn down a good romance). I feel as if i need to watch it again as i watched it with my family, whilst trying to eat a curry and having to pause numerous times throughout when people wanted to get a drink or go to the toilet. I need to watch it by myself, in the dark with no breaks to make a real judgement on it but so far i would certainly recommend it! 

Lots of love
Lucy
x

No comments:

Post a Comment